The Measurable Outcomes have been developed to facilitate measurement of outcomes of cultural engagement, including arts participation.
The Measurable Outcomes enable the contributions of cultural engagement to be assessed using a systemised approach. This enables organisations to understand how effective they are being in achieving their objectives, thus contributing to evidence-based practice, which is increasingly required by funders and decision-makers.
Policy Domain: Cultural
Through engaging in cultural activity you might expect participants to experience any one of the following outcomes:
- Creativity stimulated
- Aesthetic enrichment experienced
- Knowledge, ideas and insight gained
- Diversity of cultural expression appreciated
- Sense of belonging to a shared cultural heritage deepened
We also know that other outcomes can occur as a result of engaging in cultural activities. These outcomes are under constant review and may be refined as we examine more theory and research and consult policy experts.
Policy Domain: Social
- Wellbeing (physical &/or mental) improved
- Sense of safety and security increased
- Social connectedness enhanced
- Social differences bridged
- Feeling valued experienced
Policy Domain: Economic
- Professional practice capability increased
- Employment-enhancing skill development facilitated
- Individual economic wellbeing increased
- Local economy supported
Policy Domain: Environmental
- Positive sense of place (built and/or natural environment) enhanced
- Understanding of ecological issues increased
- Natural world valued
- Motivation for environmental stewardship increased
Policy Domain: Governance
- Access to beneficial networks and other resources increased
- Agency and voice enabled
- Sense of civic pride enhanced
- Civic trust inspired
How were the measurable outcomes developed?
Please site this schema as: Dunphy, K & Smithies, J (2018). Outcome schema for cultural engagement. Melbourne: Cultural Development Network. https://culturaldevelopment.net.au/outcomes/about-measurable-outcomes/